Friday, March 07, 2008

Sincere Effort

It’s been one month and one week since I stopped drinking and started this last attempt to stay sober. February 1st is my sobriety date, which coincides with the anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in 2003, the year my slide into utter alcoholism started down the steep grade. I am sincere in my effort to do whatever it takes to live a sober life, for the rest of my life.

My counselor, Lucy L., convinced me to restart journaling in my blog. She was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I’d decided to make some entries when I first started to get sober this time, but hesitated for one reason or another. I will faithfully backfill with the complete ugly and beautiful details from where I left off. It won’t necessarily be in chronological order, but it will be thorough.

From day one coming into The Pit Stop everyone was friendly, staff and patients. It’s a far cry from The Treatment; I’m so glad I don’t have to go back there. I did not get along with my assigned counselor.

Lucy is a very thoughtful, intelligent, and beautiful woman. She’s been described as a blonde Teri Hatcher. I think she looks more like Virginia Madsen. Looks aside, we communicated very well on our first meeting. We easily spoke of my drinking habit. I then felt comfortable enough to turn the tables on her and ask her of her using history. She readily opened up and shared that she was a methamphetamine user. She used that experience to springboard into her career helping addicts. She’s good people.

There is so much to express about this concerted attempt to work the program that I cannot even attempt to articulate it in my first post. There’s much more to come.

Please visit this blog often since I will be updating it as frequently as possible. I appreciate all feedback, positive and especially negative…err, constructive.



Without Wax,

No comments: